top of page

Name or Surname Change

It is possible to ask for a change of surname if you have a legitimate interest. This interest is justified , for example , when the surname harms the person’s life.

A change of surname is granted by the Minister of Justice. The request must be published in the Official Journal and in a legal announcement journal. Once published, a request should be addressed to the Ministry of Justice, which will review the case.

If the change  is granted a decree setting out a change of surname shall be published in the Official Journal

Then  comes the final  step of the request : the rectification of civil status records with the new surname.If the request is refused, an appeal is possible before the Paris Administrative Court.


The first name may also be subject to such change.

The person wishing to change his first name must, in his application addressed to the family judge of the Court , justify a legitimate interest.

bottom of page